Key Biscayne Animal Welfare Fund
The Key Biscayne Animal Welfare Fund was established in 2013 to raise awareness of the issues facing homeless cats and dogs and injured marine and aviary life in South Florida. Due to proliferation, strong emphasis is placed on homeless felines. The fund is part of the Key Biscayne Community Foundation, giving it 501(c)3 tax deductible status. Its mission is to:
- Educate youth about the plight of homeless animals and injured marine and aviary life;
- Involve youth in community service projects related to the fund;
- Offset medical costs associated with healing homeless or abandoned animals in Key Biscayne that are injured or ill; and
- Secure foster then permanent homes for homeless cats and dogs.
Since the Animal Welfare Fund was established, hundreds of homeless kittens and cats and teenage Key Biscayne residents have been impacted:
- Nearly 200 homeless kittens and cats found in Key Biscayne have been fostered and adopted;
- Over $15,000 has been allocated toward medical treatment, medicine, and foster or adoption incentives;
- Roughly $10,000 has been spent on cat food for feeders on Key Biscayne; and
- Eighty Key Biscayne teens have earned close to 2,000 community service hours.
The KB Animal Welfare Fund works in conjunction with Key Biscayne’s Trap-Neuter-Return effort, through which homeless felines are trapped, receive medical attention and are sterilized.
Here’s how Key Biscayne residents can make a difference:
- Make a Donation: 100% of funds received go toward the KB Animal Welfare Fund’s mission.
- Donate Cat Food: All food donations go to those who feed homeless cats on Key Biscayne.
- Foster a Kitten: Homeless kittens and non-feral cats awaiting adoption need foster homes. Veterinary exams ensure that each boasts a clean bill of health before entering a foster home.
- Volunteer: In addition to fostering, volunteers are needed to assist with trapping, showing kittens and cats ready for adoption, and helping to plan and execute community outreach events. Teens receive community service credit for their time.
Thank you for your interest in the mission and activities of the Key Biscayne Animal Welfare Fund.
For additional information contact Jill Stephens.