EILEEN MCCAUGHAN MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP
The family and friends of Eileen McCaughan established the scholarship to honor the life of an outstanding teenager who was tragically killed by a drunk driver at just 15 years old. Eileen was a Key Biscayne teenager who excelled in school and in sports.
The scholarship was started by local residents in 1989. From 1989 to 2023, the Eileen McCaughan Memorial Scholarship has helped 260 students obtain higher education with a total of $560,250 awarded. Scholarships are awarded to students who are academically talented but financially needy and wish to pursue higher education.
The application period for the Eileen McCaughan Memorial Scholarship is January 1 to March 31.
The application for the Eileen McCaughan Memorial Scholarship is below. This scholarship is open to all eligible residents of Key Biscayne and any student who is attending or has attended Coral Gables Senior High School.
SCHOLARSHIP REQUIREMENTS ARE:
- Minimum 2.5 GPA.
- Must be a current or former resident of Key Biscayne. If the applicant is not a current or former resident of Key Biscayne, they must attend or have attended Coral Gables Senior High School.
- Graduate of a Miami-Dade County Public School Districtor private secondary school or expect to graduate by June of the current academic year. If a graduate, the applicant shall be a full-time student (12 credits or more) at an approved post-secondary institution: college, university or graduate school.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Must submit two (2) letters of recommendation.
- Must report all financial aid and/or scholarships applied for and/or awarded in this application and with all supporting documentation.
- Must submit “Permission to Release Information” letter to the college/university.
- Must submit most recent copy of tax return.
- Must submit most recent transcript.
- Must submit a resume with all volunteer activities, work experience, and awards/honors received (listed by grade level).
- All items must be included or the application will not be considered.
LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION
Each of the letters of recommendation should be no longer than one typed page (PDF format) and each author should include the applicant’s name as well as the following information:
- Author’s name, address, and telephone
- How long have you known the applicant?
- What has been your relationship to the applicant? (teacher, guidance counselor, youth group director, pastor, etc.)
- Please indicate what you know about the applicant’s background: his/her family circumstances, home environment, neighborhood and any other pertinent information relating to his/her background.
- Please state the applicant’s attitude toward education, his/her specific strengths, weaknesses and achievements, and other relevant information.
Applications must be submitted no later than March 31st.
Eileen McCaughan Scholarship recipients will be announced at the Annual Pasta Dinner to be held on April 30th of this year.
The scholarship committee hopes these instructions and the application will help worthy students receive assistance toward their education. Should you have questions concerning the criteria or any other matter regarding this scholarship, please contact us here.
*All fields in the following application must be filled in, but some of the questions are of course not applicable to all applicants. Please use N/A for questions that do not apply to you.
Click here to download the PDF Application or apply online below.